If you want to learn how to steam clean your hardwood floors, follow the easy steps below to get sparkling clean floors that are not only free from dirt, but also from allergen-causing dust, mold, and other contaminants. You'll need to purchase a steamer that is safe for use on hardwood, but that is all the equipment you will need to complete this cleaning job.
Basics for How to Steam Clean Hardwood Floors
While steam cleaning floors is not difficult to do, it's important to prep the floors properly to avoid scratching, warping, or discoloration.
- Before you steam clean, remove dust and grit from the floor as these can cause scratches.
- Many steamers are designed to run on water alone, but if you choose to use a cleaning solution in your steamer, be sure to use a cleaner with a neutral pH.
- Be sure your hardwood floors are sealed. If you have worn spots, don't use the steamer on them because the moisture can seep into the wood and cause it to warp.
Suggested Cleaning Procedure
Once your floor is free of loose dirt, food, and dust, follow these steps to deep steam clean the floor:
- Fill steamer's water canister (add cleaning solution if needed) with hot tap water
- Check to be sure your filter is clean before you start cleaning your floor.
- Place canister into position and heat water to steam
- Push the cleaner forward, releasing the steam
- Pull it back allowing the cleaning pad to wipe away dirt and grime
- Start at one corner and work from one side of the room to the other
- Continue the process until the entire room is clean
Steam Cleaners Safe for Hardwood Floors
When shopping for a steam cleaner safe for hardwood floors, double check the manufacturer's recommendations for use. If the cleaner isn't made for sealed hardwood floors, look for one that is. The following steamers remove dirt, food particles, and unseen allergens from wooden floors with very little effort.
White Wing Steamer
Designed for use in the home for people who suffer from asthma or allergies, or environmentally-conscious individuals who would rather not pollute the air they breathe with fumes and chemicals. The White Wing Steamer is a hot, dry vapor steam system that works without chemicals. It kills:
Bissell Steam Mop
The Bissell Steam Mop Deluxe is a lightweight steam mop that's easy to use. Its long power cord helps you reach the entire floor and the specially-designed handle reduces "mopping stress". It comes equipped with two terry cloth cleaning pads, and features a clear plastic filter so you know when it's time for a change.
Another steam cleaner safe for your hardwood floors is the Sargent Steam system. It only weighs 15 pounds when filled, uses no chemicals, and is designed to clean your floor using nothing more than tap water, saving you money on cleaning products.
Choosing the Right Steamer for You
To reduce strain on your back and arms, before you buy a steam cleaner, take it out of the box and hold it as if you're cleaning the floor. Is it a good height for you or does it require you to be hunched over in an awkward position? Choose a steamer that is comfortable to hold and push, even when filled with water.
Other questions to ask yourself before you buy include:
- Is it well made?
- How hard is it to fill and empty?
- Does it come with a reusable filter or will that be something you have to purchase in the future?
- What do others say who have used this product? Check with sites like consumer reports to know what you're buying before you decide on a steamer.
On a week-to-week basis, hardwood floors stay looking clean and beautiful with just regular vacuuming and a quick mopping with a homemade wood floor cleaner. However, for a deeper clean that takes care of allergens, bacteria, and more, a heavy-duty steam cleaning every once in a while is the perfect solution for heavy cleaning of wooden floors.