Find recipes for homemade laminate floor cleaners to keep your floors looking great, no matter what gets dragged in. Get DIY instructions for laminate floor cleaners using rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and castile soap. Explore tips for a streak-free shine on your laminate floors.
Homemade Natural Floor Cleaner
Tired of spending your hard-earned money on chemical-filled cleaners that leave your laminate floor with streaks? Get easy recipes for natural laminate floor cleaners using simple ingredients you have at home. To make these recipes, comb your cupboards for:
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Dawn dish soap (or other dish soap)
- Castile soap
- Essential oils (your favorite scents)
- Tea tree oil
- Distilled water
- Spray bottle (glass is preferred for essential oil recipes)
- Microfiber mop or cloth
Natural Laminate Floor Cleaner With Rubbing Alcohol
You wouldn't think that mixing rubbing alcohol and vinegar would be an amazing cleaner. But when it comes to cleaning options for laminate floors, this disinfecting duo is hard to match. It's also a great all-around cleaner that works for messes and weekly cleaning. For this natural laminate floor cleaning recipe, follow these instructions after thoroughly sweeping the floor.
- In a spray bottle, add equal amounts of distilled water, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol.
- For a fresh scent, add 10 or so drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Gently shake to mix.
- Lightly mist the area that you want to clean.
- Pay special attention to stained or marred areas.
- Run over the sprayed area with a microfiber mop.
- Continue working in small sections until the floor is clean.
Cleaning Laminate Floors With Vinegar
If you are looking to just give your floor a light cleaning, then vinegar will be your go-to. It's a great mixture that is acidic enough to cut grease and stains but does not leave a dull film. It's also super easy.
- In a spray bottle, create a 2:1 ratio of distilled water to vinegar.
- Spray down the floor lightly (don't saturate the floor).
- Mop the floor using the microfiber mop, doing one area at a time.
DIY Laminate Floor Cleaner With Castile Soap
When it comes to adding a bit of soap to a recipe for your laminate floor, many people are hesitant because of the film. However, it's all about the ratio of soap you use. Just like cleaning a mirror, with the right soap to water combination, you can have a great streak-free floor. This recipe works great for floors that are lightly dirty.
- In a spray bottle, combine 2 cups distilled water with 2 drops of castile soap.
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil (disinfecting).
- Add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil fragrance like orange or lavender.
- Shake the bottle to mix.
- Spray and mop area by area.
- Add additional cleaner to exceptionally dirty areas.
Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner Without Vinegar
Vinegar is one of your most versatile natural laminate floor cleaners. However, several people don't care for the smell. While it does dissipate when dry, if you don't want to use vinegar, this recipe might be more your jam.
- In a spray bottle, add:
- 1 cup of distilled vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol
- 1 small squirt of Dawn
- Shake gently to give everything a good mix.
- Spray a small area, then hit it with the microfiber mop.
- Continue spraying and mopping until the floor is clean.
Tips for How to Shine Laminate Floors
Streaks on laminate are pretty easy to get. They typically come from heavy cleaners and from using too much of a product. To keep your laminate floor shining, it's important to follow a few floor cleaning tips.
- Avoid using mops that hold a lot of water like sponge mops. Too much water can be dangerous to a laminate floor and cause it to warp.
- Work in small sections of the floor so that you can use the dry microfiber mop to dry each area.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners that can scratch or mar the surface.
- Clean up large wet spills immediately (excessive liquid is bad for laminate).
- Use only cleaners designed for laminate. Avoid any waxes.
- For stubborn marks, try a bit of straight rubbing alcohol.
Natural Laminate Floor Cleaner
Laminate flooring is not wood. Therefore, when it comes to cleaning it naturally, you need to use specialized natural cleaners. The next time you need to mop, try out these DIY laminate floor cleaners for yourself.