The Shark Floor Steamer, also known as the Euro-Pro Shark Steam Mop, is a device for cleaning tile, wood and other hard surface floors that uses heat to lift off stains. It can also be used on carpet with an extra attachment.
According to Euro-Pro, the Shark Floor Steamer can do the following:
- Melt sticky items, such as gum or food residue
- Buff away scuffs from shoes or furniture
- Get rid of tough and ground-in dirt
- Lift off mud and other spots of grime
The mop is lightweight at three pounds, and measures 40" high by 12" wide by 7" deep, making it fairly portable. It has a cord that is 20 feet long to allow for freedom of movement.
How the Shark Floor Steamer Works
One big selling point for this cleaning product is that it does not require any cleaning solution besides run of the mill tap water. The steam is meant to take care of even stubborn stains without any major scrubbing. To use the steamer all one has to do is:
- Place a custom-fitted microfiber pad on the steamer's base.
- Unscrew the cap at the top of the reservoir and fill it with eight ounces of water.
- Replace the cap and switch the steamer on.
- Wait 30 seconds for the water to heat up so that vapor can start to form.
- Push the upper tube of the handle down three or four times to start the steam release.
- Continue to pump the handle as needed while moving it in rows across the floor.
Note that the mop is not meant to be used to pick up loose dirt sitting on the floor. It's recommended to sweep or vacuum beforehand. The microfiber pads are washable, so just drop them in the machine or rinse them in the sink whenever they get soiled. Replacements are also available.
The carpet attachment available for this product is called the Carpet Glider. It snaps on to its base. With the glider attached, the pads move across the carpet without getting caught up in the fibers. Other parts available include:
- Extra microfiber pads - They are sold in packs of three.
- Handles - Each replacement handle kit has one upper tube and one lower tube that extends.
- Caps - These caps are replacements for missing reservoir lids. Each set has two.
- Flask and funnel - This set is for people that have trouble filling their steamer from the sink. They can fill the flask with water and place the funnel in the top of the reservoir to prevent spills.
Where to Buy a Shark Floor Steamer
The steamers are available directly from Euro Pro at SharkClean.com, as are all of the accessories. However, it may be cheaper or more convenient to purchase from one of the following retailers:
At first glance, this mop may seem like the perfect product for everyone, but there are some things to take into consideration. First of all, the steamer is not recommended for use on unsealed wood or no-wax floors as it could damage the surfaces. Secondly, people with hard water may end up with spots on their floors. To avoid this, Euro-Pro recommends that those in this situation fill their mops with distilled water instead of water from their sinks.This mop is not the cheapest in the world. It currently averages around $80 in price and the pads cost approximately $10 each. It's no savings over the traditional mop and bucket, although many would say it is worth the small price for the convenience.