Microwave cleaning hacks can save you loads of time and money. Learn how you can clean your microwave cooker using vinegar, lemon, and baking soda.
No Scrub Microwave Cleaning Hacks
Spending hours cleaning the gunk off your microwave is just not something anyone has time for. Rather than spending your hard-earned cash and time cleaning your microwave, let the microwave do the work for you. What you need is steam and a few simple ingredients to get your microwave looking fabulous again. For these microwave cleaning hacks, you'll need:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Bowl for water
- Dish soap (Dawn is one of the best)
- Spray bottle
While these methods require no scrubbing, you'll want to remove any loose debris like bread crumbs with a damp towel before trying any of these time-saving microwave cleaning hacks.
Quick Microwave Cleaning Hack With Dish Soap
When it comes to microwaves, steam works wonders. Literally, grim can just be wiped off. With the grease-fighting power of dish soap, you really won't even need to leave your couch for long for this battle. For this microwave cleaning hack, simply:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine about 2 cups of water with a squirt or two of dish soap.
- Put the bowl in the microwave, and microwave it for 2 to 3 minutes on high. (Make sure your bowl is big enough that the water won't boil over.)
- Let the steam do its magic for about 5 minutes.
- Using oven mitts (just in case the bowl is still hot), pull out the bowl.
- Use a wet sponge or cloth to wipe out the microwave.
- The mixture in the bowl can be used for stubborn areas.
- Dry it out, and enjoy that sparkle.
Cleaning Microwave With Vinegar
If you are looking for a natural microwave cleaning hack, it doesn't get any easier than white vinegar. Not only is it non-toxic, because honestly who wants to put toxic chemicals into something you cook with, but the acid cuts through grime with ease. This method is great for microwaves that are really dirty or crusty.
- Fill a spray bottle with straight vinegar.
- Pull the turntable out of the microwave and throw it in a sink of soapy water to sit.
- Spray the entire inside of the microwave with vinegar.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse the turntable and throw it back into the microwave.
- Saturate a sponge.
- Microwave it for 2 minutes on high.
- Remove it carefully.
- Wipe out the microwave.
Cleaning Microwave With Lemon
Lemons aren't just good for making lemonade, they are actually one of your best natural defense systems for cleaning stubborn stains. And they leave your microwave with an amazing lemony smell when you use them for cleaning. To get started just:
- Cut a lemon up into chunks.
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with about 3 cups of water. (Again, use a large enough bowl that you won't have spillage.)
- Throw the chunks into the bowl, and put it in the microwave.
- Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes on high (long enough to get a good boil).
- Let it sit for about 5 or so minutes to let that steam soften all the grime.
- Remove the bowl carefully (oven mitts are recommended).
- Wipe out the microwave.
- Repeat as you need to for any stubborn areas.
Steam Cleaning a Microwave With Lemon & Vinegar
Do you have a really gross or smelly microwave? Don't worry, everyone has been there. If you do, this is the microwave cleaning hack for you! And, don't worry, everyone has been there.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix:
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Put the mixture into the microwave.
- Microwave it on high for 3-5 minutes (looking for a rolling boil).
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Open the door and wipe it out.
- Repeat until all the crusted grime and smells are gone.
Cleaning Microwave With Baking Soda
If you tried the cleaning hacks above, but you still have some stuck on crude or grime, then it's time to pull out the big guns. And by big guns, it means baking soda!
- In a bowl, mix water with baking soda to make a paste.
- Use a towel or sponge to apply the mixture to the nasty, grimey areas.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wipe it out with a wet cloth.
- Repeat as needed.
Cleaning Off the Outside of Your Microwave
While the inside of your microwave will need most of the love, the outside gets dirty too. When it comes to the outside, try these simple steps.
- Spray the outside with a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water.
- Let it sit for 5 or so minutes.
- Wet a sponge or cloth with water and a drop of dish soap.
- Wipe everything down.
- Rinse and repeat as you need to.
How to Keep Microwave Clean
Microwaves get dirty. That is a fact of life. However, there are steps that you can take to make sure that you don't have a baked-on soup explosion in there. To keep your microwave sparkling, it's important to be vigilant.
- Keep foods that might splatter covered when microwaving.
- Always microwave food on a plate or in a container.
- Wipe up any spills immediately to avoid crusting. Microwaves aren't just cooking your foods, they're cooking spills too.
- Every week, microwave a saturated towel or sponge to steam out the microwave.
Fast and Simple Microwave Cleaning Hacks
Cleaning doesn't have to be tough, especially when it comes to cleaning your microwave. Rather than spending your precious time scrubbing, let the microwave do the work for you.